Quality Improvement Fundamentals for My Nursing Career
This program will lead the participant through the quality improvement (QI) process from start to finish by providing fundamental principles and practical applications of QI science to assist with any QI project. Coursework in this program is entirely asynchronous.
A UPMC Wolff Learning Academy Quality Improvement Fundamentals Certificate of Completion is available for UPMC nurses who complete the following asynchronous coursework (4 hours) and live workshops (8 hours) (estimated total time to complete -12 hours).
- Principles of Quality and Safety
- Lean Fundamentals
- Assessing the Current State
- Building the Right Team
- Data for Quality Improvement
- Plan-Do-Study-Act Cycles
- Human Factors Design
- Sustaining Change
- Storytelling: Making Your QI Presentation Your QI Story
- Spreading Your Success: How to Effectively Present to Executive Leadership
- Assessing the Current State
- Connecting the Dots with Data: Introduction to Quality Data Analysis
- Planning for Improvement – An Introduction to Lean and Six Sigma
- Tackling Quality Improvement Using Plan-Do-Study-Act Cycles and Human Factors Design
Wolff Learning Academy Quality Improvement Fundamentals Certificate of Completion is valid for 2 years.
Obtaining the UPMC Wolff Learning Academy Quality Improvement Fundamentals Certificate of Completion
The tracking form below can be used to record your course progress and final date of completion and submission. You will not be asked to upload this tracking form as proof of completion.
When all program requirements have been met (reviewing course material, completing course surveys,
and attending any applicable live sessions), submit your program completion through this link. You will be asked to attest that you have completed all required coursework and provide your UPMC employee ID number.
Program completions are verified during the last business day of every month. Successful participants will see UPMC Wolff Learning Academy Quality Improvement Fundamentals Certificate of Completion on their transcript in HR Direct Learning during the first week of the following month. A certificate of completion will be available through HR Direct Learning once the course is viewable on your HR Direct Learning transcript. For example, a program completion submitted on the 5th of March will be verified at the end of March, but the certificate will not be available in HR Direct Learning until the first week of April.
If your submission is not approved for any reason, participants must resubmit again through the program completion link and be processed along the next monthly schedule in which they fall after completing all program requirements.
Register for asynchronous coursework here:
- Register for Principles of Quality and Safety to gain baseline knowledge necessary to tackle quality improvement projects.
- Register for Lean Fundamentals to learn how to improve flow and outcomes while reducing waste.
- Register for Assessing the Current State to learn about the important first step in any quality improvement project.
- Register for Building the Right Team to learn how to construct an effective team that will support project success.
- Register for Data for Quality Improvement to understand how to define project measures and gather and interpret project data.
- Register for Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) Cycles to understand the four-stage problem-solving model used to improve a process or carry out a change.
- Register for Human Factors Design to learn how human factors can improve safety, effectiveness, and ease of use of resources for any project.
- Register for Sustaining Change to learn a framework for implementing sustainable change to improve project outcomes over a period of time.
- Register for Storytelling: Making Your QI Presentation Your QI Story to learn how to apply storytelling concepts to your QI project to maximize audience impact.
Register for live workshops here:
- Register for Assessing the Current State Workshop to apply principles learned in the asynchronous course Assessing the Current State in an interactive environment using real-world projects and examples.
- Register for Connecting the Dots with Data: Introduction to Quality Data Analysis Workshop to apply basic data display and analysis principles to a sample data set under the direction of an experienced statistician.
- Register for Lean and Six Sigma to learn Lean principles to assess workplace processes for inefficiencies, variation and areas of waste.
- Register for Tackling Quality Improvement Using Plan-Do-Study-Act Cycles and Human Factors Design Workshop to apply PDSA and Human Factors Design principles to case studies and interactive activities.